PCC Safeguarding Policy Statement for the Parish of Cranford
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
• We accept and endorse the principles set out in ‘Safeguarding in the Diocese of London’.
• We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
• We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
• We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
• We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
• We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
• We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
• We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The PCC of this Church agreed and adopted the above Policy at its meeting on 4th April 2022. It will be reviewed at the PCC following on from the APCM in 2023.
Important telephone numbers
Father Michael Gill: SSC 020 8897 8836
Thandi Lopes is our Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO): 07757 924011
020 8564 8491 or
Lyn Streather is our Children's Champion: 07976 251877
Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers: 020 7932 1224
CCPAS 24 hour helpline: 0303 003 1111
Family Lives: 0808 800 222 (Previously Parentline)/Childline: 0800 1111
Father Michael Gill SSC, Rector
Stan Streather, Churchwarden
Howard Mason, Churchwarden
4th April 2022