The Parish of Cranford St Dunstan with Holy Angels

 Bells & Bellringing

Navigation

We have a peal of six bells in the tower hung for full circle ringing plus an Ellacombe chiming facility.
Prior to 1939 there were only three bells in the tower, hung for chiming. These form the 4th, 5th and tenor of the present ring.
During 1940-43 three new bells were cast and a new oak frame installed by Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel. This was one of the first restorations carried out during the war.
The first time they were heard was when they were chimed for the Victory of El Alamein. The first peal on the bells was rung in August 1943 for the Feast of the Assumption - the wartime ban on ringing having been lifted.

The tower is affiliated to the Middlesex County Association and London Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers. Further information on bells and bellringing can be found on the Ringing World web pages.





The bells and their inscriptions are:

Bell Inscription and history   Dia. Weight Note

Treble Gloria Deo Et Pax Homnibus Hosanna MCMXLIII 2'0 3 0 27 G

2 Livery of St Dunstan Serve the Lord Merrily 1942 2'1" 3 2 4 F

3 Ding Dong Dell Alleluia MCMXLI  2'2.5" 4 0 12 E
 
 The above three bells were cast  by Mears & Stainbank 1941-3

4 (A pre-Reformation bell.
 Recast by Mears & Stainbank 1884).
 Inscription: FRIEND JOHN (rest indecipherable) 2'4" 4 0 16 D

5 Cast by William Burford of Aldgate about 1380
 Inscription: XTE PIE FLOS MARIE
 (probably the oldest ringing bell
 in the Diocese of London)   2'6" 4 2 27 C

Tenor Cast by Brian Eldridge of Chertsey in 1636
 Inscription: GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS B.E. 1636 
 Recast by Mears&Stainbank 1945  2'9" 7 0 0  B

Vintage Pictures

Cranford Bell Ringers August 1943
Cranford Bell Ringers August 1943

First Peel 15th August 1943
First Peel 15th August 1943


The First Peel on the Bells Of St. Dunstan - August 15th 1943
G.M. Kilby - E.C.S Turner - T.G. Bannister - J. Thomas
J.A. Trollope - Maurice Child (Rector) - W.H. Coles