The Rt Revd Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram, Bishop of London, establishes the Livery
The Livery of St Dunstan was founded in 1937 by the then Rector, Fr Maurice Child. Fr Child was of the view that to serve at the altar is a great privilege and appropriate to young men rather than boys. With this in mind he formed the Livery, consisting of the Rector, 11 serving brothers, of whom one should be the Master, a limitless number of Freemen and the Court, consisting of those members who having served faithfully were no longer able to perform their duties for one reason or another. During the late 1940's and 1950's there were enough young men in the Parish to maintain the quorum of 11 serving brothers plus Freemen ready and anxious to replace them. At the invitation of the Rector, on the Feast of Christ the King and on St Dunstan's Day, the members of the Court would serve Mass, maintaining the faith and Rule of the Livery since its foundation. In 2012 the Livery celebrated its 75th anniversary. Owing to the very small number of active members it was decided that the Livery would cease to exist from the Feast of St Dunstan that year. The Patronal Festival in the form of a Solemn Pontifical Concelebrated Mass was presided over by the Right Reverend Peter Wheatley, Bishop of Edmonton and acting Bishop of Fulham at which the Livery's 75 years of service was marked and which provided a fitting conclusion to its life in the parish.
Photographs of the Livery of St Dunstan across the years.
Fr Maurice Child with the Livery
Fr Christopher Byron with the Livery
Some of the Livery with Fr Luke on the
Solemnity of Christ the King